Georgetown Massachusetts Today
You found the right website if you are searching for homes for sale in Georgetown, MA. Our website has EVERY Georgetown home for sale in Massachusetts listed with Massachusetts MLS Property Info Network (MLS PIN).
Georgetown is a town in Essex County, Massachusetts, United States. The population was 8,470 at the 2020 census. It was incorporated in 1838 from part of Rowley. Georgetown, unlike its neighboring municipalities, has its own municipal school district, and is not part of a regional school association or district.
Georgetown High School’s colors are royal blue and white, and its team name is the Royals, with a mounted knight as its mascot. They compete in the Small School division of the Cape Ann League, and have a Thanksgiving Day football rivalry with Manchester-Essex Regional High School. In addition to GHS, high school students may also attend Whittier Regional Vocational Technical High School in Haverhill, which serves as the eastern Merrimack Valley’s vocational school. Private schools are also located throughout the area, the nearest being The Governor’s Academy in Newbury.
Georgetown was originally settled in 1639 as a part of the town of Rowley by the Reverend Ezekiel Rogers. The town at the time stretched from the Atlantic coast to the Merrimack River, south of Newbury and north of Ipswich. Several farmers, finding suitable meadowlands in the western half of the settlement, began settling along the Penn Brook by the middle of the seventeenth century, creating Rowley’s West Parish. Though not directly involved in King Philip’s War, the village nonetheless did become a victim of Indian raids. The village, which became known as New Rowley, grew for many years, with small mills and eventually a shoe company opening up in the town. By 1838, the town was sufficiently large enough for its own incorporation, and was renamed Georgetown. Small industry continued, and today the town is mostly residential in nature, a distant suburb of Boston’s North Shore.
- Brocklebank-Nelson-Beecher House
- Dickinson-Pillsbury-Witham House
- Adams–Clarke House
- Georgetown Central School Memorial Town Hall
- Erie 4 Fire Company is the oldest privately owned and operated volunteer fire company in America.
- Georgetown-Rowley State Forest
- Goodrich Massacre Site
- The “Old Nancy” cannon, a relic of the Revolutionary War, may be viewed at the Town Hall.
- Union Cemetery. Cuffee Dole, an African-American man, was buried on the outskirts of the cemetery, but as it grew his plot became more centrally located.
- Georgetown Peabody Library is the town’s only public library and named for the noted philanthropist George Peabody who provided the funds to build the library to honor his mother. Mr. Peabody provided the funds necessary for the building of the Peabody Institute Libraries in Danvers and Peabody, as well Georgetown (Washington, D.C.), Baltimore, Thetford, Vermont, Austin, Texas and others. He funded the establishment of the Peabody Museums at Harvard and Yale and in Salem. The Georgetown Peabody Library finished an addition and renovation in September 2007.
The Stone Ridge Properties team of Greater Newburyport real estate agents are active members in the Greater Newburyport and Georgetown communities in which they live and work and are affiliated with several professional and community organizations.
Search homes in Georgetown, Massachusetts to make this very special city your new hometown.
Buying a Georgetown Home
If you are a Georgetown, MA home buyer, our foremost goal is to provide you with exceptional customer service. Our goals are to help you purchase the right home, make sure you don’t miss out on any homes that meet your needs, and make sure you don’t pay too much for your next home. Please utilize our Georgetown, Massachusetts real estate expertise to make your home search and buying experience as stress free and rewarding for you and your family as possible.
Selling Your Georgetown Home
If you're considering selling your Georgetown, Massachusetts home, we utilize the latest, cutting-edge, real estate marketing tools to expose your property to the widest range of potential buyers. We are here to get your house aggressively marketed to sell as quickly as possible and for the best price! Our goals are to help you get your Georgetown, MA home sold, put you in the strongest negotiating position as possible, and to make it easier for you and reduce surprises.